What’s usually round, big, mostly black and red and won’t seem to stop whirling? A roulette wheel at the casino of course. And given the number of online casino sites, you are bound to come across various variations of this game. Some have retained the traditional aspect of roulette while others have included newer features that give you extra winning opportunities.
Roulette happens to be one of the simplest and straightforward casino games that you can play. At its heart, players are required to correctly predict where the small ball will land on once the whirling roulette wheel stops. However, looking beyond the simple and straightforward gameplay of roulette and you discover the roulette strategies. Some of these strategies are so complex that they’ll intimidate the average or new roulette player.
It’s debatable that roulette, takes place entirely on how you place your bet and the online casino platform that you choose. Placing a bad bet in roulette is a game killer, which can have you throw away cash without any hope of recovering it. Picking a poor – average casino will also see that you miss out on good opportunities of winning cash. This is mostly because of the poor selection of games, skewed roulette games among other factors.
In this page, we are going to take you through all you need to know about roulette. From finding a perfect online casino to play roulette, a look at the roulette rules to some of the popular roulette games online, you’ll find this information here. This way, you can have a successful time betting as well as picking the right online casino for you.
For the purpose of this ‘guide’ we are going be comparing the simple versions of European and American versions of roulette. The basic rules often cut across most of the roulette games and will only vary slightly.
|Get a 100% Deposit Bonus worth ₹10,000 for Casino
|Welcome Bonus up to ₹8,000
|100% Welcome bonus up to ₹10,000
|100% deposit bonus.
Finding The Perfect Online Casino: The Ultimate Checklist
As you try finding an online casino that you’ll enjoy, you don’t have to tick off each single point listed below. Just mix and match depending on your preference:
- A wide array of regular and rewarding casino bonus and promotions that suit your budget
- Complete compatibility across the PC and mobile platforms
- A wide variety of payment options that are easy and fast to use
- The correct license to offer its services in your jurisdiction
- Pages that feature the latest security measures, which ensure you are safe at all times
- Round the clock customer support services
- Easy to understand terms and conditions. It shouldn’t have any hidden terms
- A visually appealing and easy to use design
- A wide variety of casino games that have very flexible bet limits
Now that we’ve highlighted the most important features to consider when picking a reliable online casino, are you curious to know more about online roulette and how to play it? If so, read on!
What is Roulette?
We don’t have to mention the obvious that roulette is a casino game. It’s a game that’s played on the table, which holds the betting area and the roulette wheel. This wheel is usually marked with numbers and different colours, which reflect on the table.
Roulette is played by throwing a small white ball into the revolving roulette wheel. As the player, your objective is guessing the correct slot that the roulette ball will land on the wheel. By correctly guessing the outcome, the casino will pay out according to the odds indicated in the paytable. If your guess is wrong, your bet is lost and the casino collects the money wagered.
Where Did Roulette Originate From?
There are several theories explaining the origin of roulette but they all seem to point France as the country of origin. This can be true given the fact that the word roulette loosely translated to ‘little wheel’ in French. Further to support the theories that France is the origin is the fact that you’ll occasionally hear the dealer, even in the online versions use some French betting terms. Such terms include ‘rien ne va plus’ – which translates to ‘no more bets’ and ‘faites vos jeux’ – which translates to ‘place your bets’.
The first roulette game was played back in the 18th century. Since then, very little has changed in the game. As a matter of fact, the game as we know it today has retained the same rules since 1796. In the 19th century, the game became a hit across the casinos, spreading throughout the world. With the advent of the internet, the online version was introduced, which further introduced many other variations of the game.
Today, online roulette and live casino roulette remain to be a fan favourite among many of the casino players in India and the world at large.
What Makes Roulette So Popular Among Players?
Whether it’s the hypnotic appeal of the whirling wheel and silver/white ball or the thrill and excitement of leaving the fate of your bets down to chance, we cannot deny that roulette is a fan favourite. And there are several reasons why it remains to be one of the most sought after casino games.
- For a fact, you don’t need any special skills to succeed in roulette. You can always improve as you play the game and a first timer can always win as much money as the seasoned roulette pro. It’s precisely because of this reason that roulette is such a sensation with the players and thrill seekers.
- The roulette wheel certainly adds more thrill and drama to the whole gaming experience. Who wouldn’t get excited and seated at the edge of the seat when hundreds of their hard earned cash is on the line and their fate is in the hands of a tiny ball spinning around the roulette wheel?
- Last but not least, roulette is a social game – both at the land based casinos and online casinos. You aren’t playing against anyone as seen in poker. Instead, you’ll be playing against the house. This means everyone seated at the roulette table can make as much cash from the same bet if they wish.
Different Type of Roulette Games That You Can Play Online
As we’ve already stated, how roulette began isn’t the same way as it is today. There have been several minor modifications that have been introduced to the game. One such modification is the introduction of the double zero, which gave birth to a popular roulette version.
The double zero was introduced in the game across casinos in France, Monte Carlo, Germany and America. This was aimed at increasing the house edge as well as trying to combat the possibility of cheating. Consequently, we now have three types of roulette game.
The American Roulette version was the game that was introduced to the French, German, US and Monte Carlo Casinos to curb cheating. The game comes with a double zero, which gives it a higher house edge. Because of the extra zeros, the game tends to have better payouts as it is considered to be a challenging game.
It is widely considered as the original version of roulette and features only a single zero on its wheel. Because of the single zero, the house edge in this game is significantly lower than that of the American roulette. Consequently, players looking to maximize their chances of winning tend to play this version.
French roulette uses the same wheel as the European roulette game and any visible difference on the roulette table are normally cosmetic, with French wordings instead of English. The French version of roulette also incorporates two popular rules – En Prison and La Partage, which usually works in favour of the player should the ball land in the zero pocket.
If you are curious to find out the best version of roulette, you better visit a few of India’s top rated online casinos and play the game as you read through our roulette guide.
How Do You Play Roulette
Simple and fun, the game of roulette pays well and it’s largely based on chance, giving you an exciting adrenaline rush as you see the roulette wheel spin.
- The game starts with the dealer, or croupier taking your bets, spinning the roulette wheel in one direction and rolling the ball against the wheel’s motion. For the software based version, you just need to choose your bet amounts.
- Once the game is in play, you are required to place your bet. This could be on a single number, a group of numbers, colours or whether the ball will land on an even/odd number. While betting, you can always wager on numbers 1-36 (unless you are playing French roulette). The number 0 is normally reserved for the casino and if the ball lands on this, the house collects all the bets
- The gameplay ends once the ball has landed on one of the roulette wheel’s pockets and the dealer distributing the payouts or collecting the losing bets
Different Types of Roulette Bets
Before looking at the different types of roulette bets that you can make online, it’s vitally important that you understand the general setup of the game. You need to understand how the roulette wheel and table have been configured.
The Roulette Wheel
As we’ve stated, there are three types of roulette games. However, the European and French roulette variants share the same type of wheel, which usually contains 37 pockets labelled with numbers 0-36. In a slight twist of events, the American roulette wheel tends to have 38 numbers on the wheel. This extra number if brought about by the extra 00 included.
The numbers on the roulette wheel are usually split into various colours. The numbers 0 and 00 are usually coloured green, while the remaining ones are coloured either black or red. Also worth noting is that the rest of the numbers are normally spread randomly throughout the wheel. The designer of the modern day roulette wheel alternated the black and red colours, which gives the game a noticeable pattern regarding the colouring and numbering.
The roulette table is the most important aspect of roulette game and one that you need to understand before you can start playing the game. It’s crucial to understand that the overall layout of the table isn’t just to look nice but rather follow a systematic pattern as per the industry standards. This is because you’ll have to place the same bets across all online casinos.
There are several ways in which you can place a bet on the roulette table. You can do so across adjacent sectors of the table or on single areas. This enables you to place a single bet for multiple outcomes of the game.
Being able to divide your bets across multiple outcomes is one of the features that differentiates roulette from other table games and the fact it is dependent on the options that are closer to each other on the betting area separates it even further from the other games.
Depending on the position you place the chip, you can easily bet between 1 – 5 outcomes. This will affect the payouts you receive as well as the odds of winning.
These are the basics of the roulette wheel and the table, so without wasting any more time, let’s take a look at the types of roulette bets you can make online.
Types of Roulette Bets
Like the roulette game itself, roulette bets are split into three. These include the inside, outside and neighbour bets.
- Inside Bets: These are bets that you make on numbers of the roulette wheel, which are located on the inner section of the roulette bet table. Each name has a different name depending on the location and number of areas it covers
- Outside Bets: These are bets that cover the outside edges of the roulette table. Unlike the inside bets that cover single numbers, outside bets are placed on entire areas or several categories of the wheel
- Special Bets: They are common on the French roulette game and usually constitute of placing the chips on the roulette racetrack. In some instances, special bets are referred to as ‘call bets’ or ‘section bets’. They encompass of one of several inside bets occupying a series of five numbers
To have a better understanding of each type of bets listed above, with illustrations, let’s take a closer look at each section.
There are six different types of inside bets. They include the following:
- Straight Bets: They are placed on a single number on the table. You’ll have to place your chip on the number that you wish to bet on
- Split Bets: These bets cover two adjacent numbers. You’ll have to place the chips on the line connecting these two adjacent numbers and your bet is a winner if the ball stops on any of these two numbers
- Three Line Bets: They are sometimes referred to as street bets and as the name suggests covers three numbers. To place a street bet, place your chips on a row of three numbers. You can do this by placing the chip on the line at the beginning of one of the 12 rows
- Corner Bets: This is a bet placed on four numbers. To bet on these numbers, you simply have to place a chips on the intersecting corner of these four numbers
- Six Line Bets: A six line bet is placed on six numbers by picking 2 rows of 3 numbers. To place this bet, you’ll have to place your chip on the line separating the two rows
- Combination Bet: This is a special type of inside bet that’s exclusive to the American roulette wheel because of the split green area. It’s a bet that covers the numbers 3, 2, 1, 00 and 0 and pays at odds of 6:1
There are also five types of outside bets on the roulette game. They are as follows:
- Column Bets: It’s a bet placed on 12 numbers. You place your chip on one of the three areas labeled 2 to 1 on the roulette table
- Dozens Bets: It’s a bet placed on 12 numbers, which include four rows of three numbers. To place this bet, you’ll have to place your chips on the areas labelled 1st 12, 2nd 12 or 3rd 12.
- Black/Red Bets: With this, you are either betting the ball will land on a black or red spot. Black or Red bets usually cover up to 18 numbers. To place this bet, you’ll place your chips on the area labelled black or red
- Odd/Even Bets: You are wagering that the number to show up will either be an odd or even number – excluding the number 0.Like the black/red bets, there are 18 numbers covered by this bet and you can make it by placing your chip on the section labelled Even/Odd
- 1-18/19-36 Bets: You are wagering that the ball will land on the either the first 18 numbers or the last 18 numbers. To bet on the first 18 numbers, simply place your chips on the area marked 1 to 18. To bet on the last 18, place your chips on the area labelled 19 to 36.
Voisons du Zero Bet
Voisons du Zero bets, which translates to Neighbours of Zero bets, are those that cover both the zero and Voisons areas of the racetrack. As already mentioned, these bets are usually placed on the French roulette game and cover 17 numbers, including those found to the left half of the racetrack covering numbers 22-25 and the green 0. This is where they get the name Neighbours of Zero.
When you compare to the regular roulette table, Neighbours of Zero section includes a combination of corner and split bets, which could otherwise have been placed on the standard roulette table. In order to place these bets, you’ll have to spend 9 chips and your odds of winning are usually about 45.9%.
Jeu “zero” Bet
It’s a similar bet to the Voisons du Zero bet, with the only difference being that it includes the Zero section of the table and therefore covers less numbers. The bet covers a total of seven numbers along the racetrack, ranging from 12-15 and the green 0 is found at the middle. To place this bet, you’ll need four (4) chips and your odds of winning are 18.9%.
“Tiers” du Cylindre Bet
This bet covers only one third of the roulette wheel, encompassing 12 numbers in total. It works in a similar fashion as the dozens bet on the standard roulette betting stable. Therefore, when betting on this, just imagine that it is a dozen bet, but there’s only one of them in this.
“Tiers” du Cylindre bet covers a random dozen of total numbers that range from 27-33 around the roulette racetrack. It requires you to spend up to six (6) chips and your odds of winning this bet are 32.4%
Orphelins is French for orphan. The reason why they are referred by the morbid name is because they are the unused numbers on the roulette racetrack. As such, Orphelins bet covers numbers 34, 21, 20, 17, 14, 9, 6 and 1.
This bet requires five (5) chips and your odds of winning are around 21.6%.
Odds and Probability: Which is The Best Bet to Place at The Roulette Table?
Probability, as we all know, refers to the chance of something happening. The lower the probability – which is expressed as either a ratio or a percentage – the less likely it is to occur. For instance, the probability of winning in a game of coin toss is 50% or 50:50. We all know this because there are only two possible outcomes – tails or heads.
This is pretty much all the information that you need to know about probability in short and now you are a statistician – congratulations!
So, what are the odds of winning while playing roulette online? Let’s have a look at the table below.
|American and European Roulette Bets
|Odds (House Edge)
|Straight ( Single Number)
|Split ( Two Numbers)
|Street ( Three Numbers)
|Corner ( Four Numbers)
|Double Street ( Six Numbers)
|Basket/Combination (Numbers 3,2,1,00,0)
|Neighbours of 0 (9 Chips, 17 numbers close to 0)
|Up to 24:1
|Jeu “zero” Bet (4 Chips, 7 numbers close to 0)
|Up to 26:1
|“Tiers” du Cylindre Bet (6 Chips, 12 numbers across from the Neighbours of 0)
|Orphelins Bet (5 Chips, all the remaining numbers
Which Game Offer The Best Odds?
This may appear confusing initially, but when you apply the logic or concept from the coin toss, you can apply it to the table above.
- Like adding the numbers to a die; the more the numbers, the less likely it is to pick the right one. The same concept is applicable to roulette, where there’s a 8.1% chance of winning a street bet (which covers 12 numbers) and a 2.7% chance of winning in a straight bet. The more the numbers chosen, the higher the probability of winning
- Since there are 18 black and 18 red numbers, it’s right to assume the odds of winning the colour bet is 50% or 1:1. However, with the inclusion of the green ‘0’, then the odds change slightly, leaving you with a 48.6% chance of winning this bet
All in all, the probability of winning a bet depends on how well you cover the roulette table. If you decide to place a bet on each number on the roulette table, then you have a 100% chance of scoring the bet. However, your bet won’t be profitable – awarding with about 98 cents for every ₹1 you wager. If you stake ₹50 on black, the chances of doubling your cash is 48.6% – which is a risky affair, but offers you a chance of high profit.
Are you a strong believer of strategies? Sun Tzu, the great strategist, was clearly a believer. But we are not referring to these strategies. We are talking about roulette strategies.
From our experience reading different types of strategies, we’ve come up with a theory. For a strategy to be feasible, one of the must have condition is having a cool name such as Fibonacci, Martingale or Labouchere.
We’ve used the word believable, and not effective. Bottom line is, online roulette is a game that relies greatly on luck. Therefore, regardless of the strategy you are using, it will never guarantee you a win at the end of the day. Rather, it can only facilitate your winning process by either lowering the house edge or extending your play time, which consequently increases your winning opportunity.
Nonetheless, here are some of the popular three roulette strategies that are widely used by online casino players.
The Labouchere Roulette Strategy
This is a popular negative progression roulette betting system. One that requires you to come up with a number sequence; then you bet the first and last units. If you lose the bet, the Labouchere betting system dictates that you add this bet to the end of the list, consequently creating a new system. However, if you win your bet, you cancel out these last two numbers and work with the remaining numbers. This goes on until you’ve cancelled out all the numbers in the sequence.
An example of the Labouchere roulette strategy is as follows:
- Our sequence is going to be – 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8
- On our first bet, we are required to wager an equivalent of nine units – (1+8) = 9. So if your initial bet amount is ₹10, your total bet should be ₹90
- If your bet wins, your new sequence will be 2, 3,4,5,6 and 7. When placing your next bet, you’ll have (2+7) = 9 as your betting unit. The next bet will be equivalent to ₹10*9= ₹90
- If your bet loses the third time, your next sequence will be 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 9. Therefore when placing the next bet, you’ll have (2+9) = 11 as your betting unit. The next bet will be equivalent to ₹10*11=₹110
The D’Alembert Strategy
The D’Alembert roulette strategy relies upon the (unproven) belief that wins will eventually balance out overtime. Therefore, if you’ve been wagering on 12, which has been successful for the first say 20 spins, this strategy suggests that it’s best that you switch to a new number as it’s the ‘nature of luck’ that other numbers will start showing up. Even though there’s some sense in this notion, it’s usually referred to as the Gambler’s Fallacy.
The Fibonacci Number Sequence Strategy
Otherwise known as ‘nature’s code’, this roulette strategy is attained by adding newer numbers to the sequence. These newer number(s) is the summation of the two outgoing digits. For instance, your initial sequence is 5, 6, 11, 17, 28, 45… In case you didn’t catch it: 5+6 =11, 11+17 =28, 28+17 =45 etc.
Therefore, if your betting unit is ₹20, your first bet amount is ₹100. The second bet amount is ₹120. The third bet amount is ₹480 etc.
Do Online Roulette Strategies Work?
This is a question that most of our readers ask us from time to time. Ultimately, in the long run, there’s no roulette strategy that will guarantee you a win. As you continue playing roulette at the casino, the house edge will always tend to get the better of you and you end up losing more money. The only trick to winning is quitting while you are ahead!
Online Roulette In India – What You Need To Know Before Playing
So we’ve gone through all the necessary information to get you playing roulette like a pro in no time. But before you start to play roulette, there are a few things that you need to understand.
Legality of Online Casino Gaming
Top in the list is the legality of online casino gaming, and more specifically roulette gaming. Therefore, any form of gambling in India is guided by thePublic Gambling Act of 1867, which was drafted when India was still a British colony. Since then, there have been several amendments made by different states to allow one form of gambling or another.
At the time of writing this roulette guide, only a few states support different forms of casino gambling. They include Goa, Daman, Diu and Sikkim. The state of Maharashtra however completely outlaws any form of gambling – which includes casino gaming.
As far as online casino gaming is concerned, there’s no clear regulatory framework where you can cross check to see if it’s legal or not legal to play roulette and other games online. However, there are several techno-legal compliances that an online casino has to meet before it offers its services to Indian players.
While there are several scrupulous brands operating in India, we’ve made sure that we’ve sourced only the best sites for you. Sites that are licensed, have proven track record and are committed to offering you a safe and secure gaming environment.
Choose Your Online Casino Brand Wisely
Besides the legality of online casinos in India, roulette players have more than enough online casino brands to pick from. We haven’t conducted an official study, but from our estimates, the number of online casino is between the stars in the sky and the grains of sand on the earth. This means that it’s not difficult to find yourself an online casino, but it’s difficult to come across one that checks out on all your preferences.
Using the criteria listed at the start of this page, we’d like to recommend that you carefully scout a casino before signing up with it. You don’t want to create an account at an online casino, only to lose all your important personal and financial information. Worse, you win millions of rupees playing at the casino and it refuses to pay out citing some shoddy reasons.
Five Things You Need to Remember – Roulette Tips!
In this section, we’ll take a quick look at some of the top tips for players looking to try out this beautiful game. Ensure that you’ve used some of them (if not all) the next time you are seated at the roulette table.
Always Read The Roulette Rules
Before you can start enjoying the wonders that come with the game of roulette, it’s important that you go through the specific game rules. Given the number of online casinos and roulette games online, you’ll discover that there are different variations of rules guiding each game.
Remember, knowledge is power as far as online casino gaming is concerned. It’s fundamental that you are well versed with the roulette rules as there’s usually more to playing roulette than just picking your lucky number or favourite colour.
Practice Before Committing Real Money
If this is your first time playing roulette, it’s highly advisable that you try out the game through the practice mode feature. All online casinos offer the software based roulette game that comes with the practice mode.
Through this game mode, you’ll be able to enjoy all the features offered in real money whilst getting to grips with the game’s rules. It’s also an interesting way for you to try out some of the strategies listed above without losing your money. And if you have any concerns regarding the online casino, it’s also a great way to test out some of their services such as customer support, platform usability, and game variety. Once you are satisfied, and feel ready to start playing for real money, you can then stake your cash.
Busting Common Misconceptions About Online Roulette
The last tip is more of a point that it meant to clarify a very common misconception on online roulette! This nonsense has been plastered across so many websites and we feel that’s time someone put the record straight.
There’s a belief that the roulette wheel tends to have some ‘cold’ and ‘hot’ numbers. Yep, there are several theories surrounding these ‘unlucky’ and ‘lucky’ numbers. The hot numbers are those that are on a streak, so they could easily be due out anytime. The cold numbers are those that haven’t really shown up in a couple of spins.
Some of these theories and roulette guides suggest that you either go for the hot or cold numbers. However, at Indiaslots, we want to advise you otherwise! As long as you are playing at a certified, regulated and frequently audited online casino, each spin of the roulette wheel is independent of the outgoing spin and is totally random. This means that each number on the roulette wheel has an equal chance of showing up on the next spin.
Enjoy Playing Roulette, Wherever You Are
If you are eager to play roulette online – be it from the comfort of your house or through your smartphone while on the move – picking the right online casino is the most important things. Indian players have a myriad of options to pick from, including some of the few sites that we’ve listed here.
Setting up an account at these sites is super-fast, easy and stress-free. Furthermore, the site has done everything within their powers to ensure that you’ve had the best experience that you are looking for online.
So, why don’t you join millions of other satisfied players from other countries at any one of the listed casinos and see exactly what all the fuss is about?